Miniature Ordnance Review looks at the world of historical and fantasy miniatures wargaming and model building. From 15mm Flames of War, to Warhammer 40K, to 1/35th scale tanks, with some potential surprises on the horizon - you'll find them here!

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Upcoming Great War Supplement Reviewed

Model Dads has once again gotten their hot little hands on the "next big thing" in Flames of War ahead of everyone else, namely the Great War supplement, and have done their usual stellar review of it.  I did a little writing for this one, but it is unclear whether my article is going directly into WI or if it comprised part of the book, either way I'm really looking forward to this one.

Looking at the photos in the book, the miniature range and terrain that Battlefront has developed look absolutely spectacular.  I can't wait to get my hands on the tanks, and the terrain will be useful for both World War I and World War II battles in Flames of War.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've already got the paints on order.

Given the armor heavy force mix, the most obvious period to try and match would be the Second Battle of Villers-Bretonneux, which featured the first tank-versus-tank battle in history.  However, I really prefer the multi-tone German camouflage schemes, so I will likely paint my A7V up to match an alternate front as the tanks at Villers-Bretonneux appear to have been overall green-grey.

I know that there are still several gaps in World War II that many people would like to see filled (Barbarossa, Berlin, and the Asia-Pacific Theater), but Battlefront seems to really be at a point where the range must expand to remain vital and healthy.  The additions of Viet Nam, the Arab-Israeli conflict, and now World War I represent a lot of untapped potential as the rule set works well for any combined arms battles up to the point where smart weapons begin to dominate the battlefield.

No comments:

Post a Comment